Sony A6500 vs Sony RX10 Mark IV vs Panasonic G85 vs Other Options??

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ziffster Junior Member • Posts: 31
Sony A6500 vs Sony RX10 Mark IV vs Panasonic G85 vs Other Options??

Finally time to move up into something beyond a 'point an shoot' I had all but decided to order a Sony A6500 with a Sigma 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 along with a 50 mm f1.8 prime lens when the RX10 Mark IV was announced.

My criteria for selecting the A6500 was:-

• Good low light performance (that has been my biggest disappointment with my current Sony HX90)
  • Raw Support (as I have started to get in post processing)
  • Weather Sealed (will be headed to the Amazon in rainy season and don't want to worry about the camera)
  • Touch Screen (easy focus point selection)
  • Size and weight suitable for travel (had a full frame in the past and was simply too large to carry with me)
  • Approximately 30 to 200 mm equivalent (primarily shoot landscapes and wildlife and looking at old photos and 95% of the time this has been my range)
  • Good Stabilization - especially when working with higher power telephoto lens (with nature shots most of the time shots are hand held and often in less than ideal lighting conditions)
  • Support for Filters (I have really missed being able to use a Polarizing Filter)
  • Macro Capability (wildlife includes insects)
  • Good Bokeh
  • Under $2,000 for Complete System

But with the release of the RX10 Mark IV, all the boxes would appear to now be checked by the bridge camera at a lower price than going with the A6500 plus with arguably better glass.

I also considered the Panasonic G85, Panasonic GX8, Canon PowerShot G3 X and Olympus OM-D E-M5 II...  but from the reviews I have seen the Sony Sensor (and focusing) is head and shoulders above the competition especially in low light.

Any comments regarding pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

Canon G3 X Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a6500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow