Nikon 18-55 VR II - strange blur at 55mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Robert1975 Junior Member • Posts: 45
Nikon 18-55 VR II - strange blur at 55mm

Hello,

I can't figure out something so I though I'd ask you guys.

When I shoot my 18-55 kit lens at home, from the balcony etc, everything usually looks great at the long end. I've just taken more than 20 test shots and didn't notice any issues.

However, when I checked my field shots from yesterday, I noticed some kind of blurring on many shots taken at 55mm. Perhaps more than 10 out of 13 were blurred at 100%. I'm not sure what it is, it could be that VR didn't settle down, maybe bad focusing, but it doesn't look to me like plain lens softness.

I attach 100% crop from one of the images - this is one of the worst examples. Sharpness slider in LR is at 100, and it still looks much worse than my sharpest 55mm shots. It's usually quite sharp on D3300. This crop, however, is definitely not a 24MP image.

The problem is I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong when shooting in the field. It's all hand-held, at home, in nature, with identical camera settings. This did happen to me earlier, but never in this extent! Fortunately, the most important shots were not affected.

If the test shots are fine, this means that the lens isn't broken. But what is it then? Perhaps I'm doing something with my hands and fingers which confuses the VR system? Perhaps I'm holding the shutter button for too long before taking the shot? It seems that I'm not doing it when shooting tests shots, maybe because I'm completely relaxed and do not really care about the outcome.

By the way, I use the back button for focusing.

It's really strange...

Nikon D3300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow