In darkness: EM1.2 vs a7R2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WSLam Veteran Member • Posts: 4,177
In darkness: EM1.2 vs a7R2

I wanted to take a photo basically in total darkness (~ -5EV), and I was trying to determine which camera setup to use. At the end, I decided to use both my Sony a7R2 and Olympus OM-D E-M1MKII and took the shots. The idea is not to put them in equal settings and compare, but rather, given their own strengths, what can be done to max out their respective capabilities.

Both photos were edited in LR to the best of my capability. The EM1.2 photo requires more adjustments.

A few notes:

• EM1.2 shot was a little underexposed (not on purpose, that's what the metering did). Adding about 0.8EV in LR brought up the level to roughly that of the Sony's.
    The color balance was also a little off from the EM1.2 shot, so I had to tweak the colors a little, but at the end, I think they both look quite similar.
  • I use the AF Illuminator on the EM1.2 to Auto Focus. The result is a little off compared to the Sony/Leica combo but it was fast to focus with the AF Illuminator. I could not see with my naked eyes, so it's entirely possible it was my mistake not pointing at the exact area I was hoping for.
  • The Sony image was resized to match that of the EM1.2 before I put them side by side.
    The EM1.2's IBIS is truly impressive. I got sharp photos with the camera handholding for over 2 secs, but I was sitting on a mattress when I took the photo, and 1sec was all I could get out of it in this situation.

On the left: EM1.2 with 25/f/1.2 ProExp: 1 sec at f1.2, ISO1600 (with LR +0.8EV)

On the right: a7R2, with Leica Noctilux 50mm f0.95 using the Voigtlander VM-E adapterExp: 1/10sec at f0.95, ISO25600

-- hide signature --

too many cameras...

WSLam's gear list:WSLam's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony RX100 IV Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X100F +43 more
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow