RX10iv Focusing update

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Horacecoker Senior Member • Posts: 1,297
RX10iv Focusing update

I was asked this question in my RX10iv Focusing thread and my full reply needs reading by everyone who owns or is thinking of buying this camera - it's very good news!

Reading your reply to SaltLakeGuy makes me wonder if it would be a bad thing to just keep the camera on AF-C for nearly all shooting?

From my test you would think so but I must stress that this test was carried out at the extreme end of telephoto (600mm equivalent). At the wide angle end and medium telephoto the branch would never be so far out of focus to be devoid of contrast!

I just stopped writing and nipped out to test that theory and it's certainly true. I set the camera to AF-S with normal centre box. Up to 270mm equivalent the camera nails focus from hedge to branch equally as fast as AF-C and PDAF! From 300mm onward the branch is too much out of focus for AF-S to 'see' it due to AF-S relying solely CDAF. So, up to 270mm It has no trouble focusing back to the branch from infinity. No hunting, no hesitation just bang, branch in focus with the reassuring beep if you want it. I feel a bit embarrassed now for not including this extra testing first time round. But I've done it now and it should allay everybody's concerns about not keeping the camera on AF-S or better still, AF-A for most uses. You don't get PDAF on AF-S but up to 270mm it appears you don't need it for static subjects.

This is really good news for everybody including me because I spent a few hours outside last week using the camera solely on AF-C and I found it hard to get used to. I kept forgetting to press focus hold for static subjects when I wanted to recompose. Perhaps I could get used to it but I don't want to have to get used to it and now know I don't need to get used to it. (Blimey that was a bit of a tongue twister). I now know for general static photography such as landscapes, street photographer etc AF-S is absolutely fine up to 270mm and seems faster than what I remembered with the RX10iii. It must be faster because according to Imaging Resource, when you press the shutter button fully down without half pressing, the RX10iv takes a picture 7 times faster than the iii!

I only ever did the original test because of my interest in bird photography and problems I had with the RX10iii when photographing them. Obviously for birds I'm mostly at high telephoto, below 270mm these problems don't exist for static subjects and that will also be true for the RX10iii. This is why you get some folk saying there's nothing wrong with the focusing on the RX10iii and other folk saying it's hopeless. Of course I think we can safely say that in AF-C mode the new RX10iv is light years ahead of the iii for moving subjects.

David

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow