Sony FDR-X3000 v Yi 4K+ v GoPro Hero 5

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,329
Re: Would your opinion change if you used the Yi Gimbal?

federicog wrote:

larsbc wrote:

markyboy81 wrote:

I picked up the x3000 recently and although it comes with the display, I haven't actually used it yet. I don't think that it's a necessity as the lens is wide angle - you can just aim it in the general direction of what you're shooting and it gets good results.

I agree. I haven't regretted not buying the remote viewer. I just don't need it.

I do agree that it's not great for walking or running but it's not terrible either. For its size and weight it's amazing.

Even though it's not perfect for filming while walking, it's good enough that that's what I often use it for. When travelling, I have it clipped via a carabiner to either my camera waist pack or my belt so I can quickly capture some video clips of my friends or family while we're on the move. It's great for providing contextual or b-roll clips and I use it to augment the video and stills I capture with my micro four thirds cameras.

larsbc, have you produced videos matching your micro 4/3 footage with video from the x3000? I've got a g85 and I miss the high speed frame rates of the GH4. Would the Sony be a budget option to shoot 120fps and throw it to a 24p timeline?

I'm not too fussy about matching video.  I will say, though, that my Hero 3+ at its default settings was quite flat when mixed side-by-side with video from my Panasonic cameras.  With the X3000, the colours have more saturation and contrast and are a closer match to what I'm getting from my G85.  The X3000 seems sharper, too.  In the future, I will turn up the in-camera sharpening for the G85.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow