Inspirator, Sigma 50-100/1.8 used not for portraits.

Started Oct 12, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PaulSnowcat
PaulSnowcat Senior Member • Posts: 1,200
Inspirator, Sigma 50-100/1.8 used not for portraits.

Ok, I've got it too. I just could not leave it there on a shelf in photo market in Beijing, the price was really too good to pass it.

As I am still in Beijing. the city I really love, I took this lens for a walk in one of the beautiful parks here, to Daguanyuan. I know, when you think about Sigma 50-100, you think about portraits. But portraits are not the only it's application.

First of all - ergonomics. I think this lens is very well thought out for LONG use. I was shooting with my D5500 and Sigma 50-100 Art for 4 hours, and I was holding the camera in my hands all this time. All I can say - I could continue without problems.

When I am shooting, 2nd finger of left hand supports the lens and actually holding it's weight. Lens' tripod mount is in the middle of your palm and it feels as it SHOULD be there! Your 1st and 3rd fingers are naturally situated on the zoom ring, so i would NOT prefer swapping zoom ring and AF ring as some people do. This lens operation is surprisingly comfortable for me.

The lens is VERY sharp. I mean it. Everywhere, anywhere it is SHARP. You don't NEED to stop it down, you can use any f stop you WANT for your picture. Probably it is the most sharp lens I've ever seen, and I've seen quite alot, including several premium lenses from "first party" makers,

Sigma 50-100 lacks optical stabilizer. Well... it is. It would better if it had OS. But it is still absolutely usable, enjoyable, fantastic, I got sharp results at 100mm with 1/40 even without mentioning that the shutter speed is low. But even at 50mm I failed to get a really sharp picture at 1/20S. So I guess my personal limit is 1/20s without OS with this lens at ant zoom.

The only real weakness is flare. While the lens, as any telephoto one, is not sensitive to sunlight close to picture frame, it has strong not-very-good flare from a sun IN the frame. Well, I can live with that.

Sigma 50-100 has a very nice, gentle but buttery bokeh. Very enjoyable.

And now - the pictures.

-- hide signature --
 PaulSnowcat's gear list:PaulSnowcat's gear list
Fujifilm X-S10 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +3 more
Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
Telephoto zoom lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (DX), Sigma SA Bayonet
Announced: Feb 23, 2016
PaulSnowcat's score
Average community score
Nikon D5500 Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow