The pending G1X III - Speculations/Concerns...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Ben Herrmann Forum Pro • Posts: 18,617
The pending G1X III - Speculations/Concerns...

...about the future of the current APS-C line of M line cameras.

I've just posted a similar response to a posting on the regular Canon Powershot forum about this. As some of you may have seen already, the projected prices of the pending G1X III are quite high (well, for enthusiast models). See here...

http://thenewcamera.com/canon-g1x-mark-iii-price-1299/

My focus now is that I have to question where Canon is going here. Something like this "may" very well cannibalize their EOS-M line of cameras. Think about it here - the M line feature models that will appear very similar to this pending G1X III, and with the current lack of EF-M lenses, what could happen? I have several M cameras - love 'em really - but this pending G1X III is now posed to overlap (replace) the M line?

As an M user, this makes me question Canon's focus/dedication toward their APS-C sized M line of cameras. With all of the rumors centered around future M series models that will feature a FF sized sensor, does this new G1X III project what Canon is now looking at in the future - that is, placing this APS-C sized sensor in Powershot models (phasing out their current M line), while future Canon mirrorless options will be centered around FF options?

Think about all of this. You'd have APS-C sensors in future Powershot models (priced quite high, I might add). And then you'd have the current M line with the same size sensor (provided Canon doesn't elect to phase out this line). And then you have the future (anticipated) FF Canon mirrorless line of models - which may very well be what Canon will focus on in the future.

What do you folks think here?

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
Bernd ("Ben") Herrmann
Fuquay Varina, North Carolina USA

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Canon PowerShot G12 +45 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow