Focus Stacking on the D850

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hookshanks Forum Member • Posts: 53
Focus Stacking on the D850

Getting to know the Nikon D850 I decided to see how easy the focus shift shooting was, something I was always too lazy to do before. Just a plant on my Kitchen table.

Setup: Nikon R1C1 Speedlight Commander kit with 4 x SB-R200 units.

Manual mode, aperture f2.8, 1/250, ISO 64, Set to take 37 shots, Focus step width: 1, Interval 7 seconds ( to allow the R1C1 to keep up),Exposure smoothing off, Silent Photography off (didn’t work with the Flash).

Files Converted to DNG and used Helicon Focus to stack. one tiff file produced 257MB minimal edit Shadows and highlights to taste (no sharpening) .

I thought it might be of interest to anyone looking to do focus stacking with the D850.

It was also a treat to use Liveview to focus on the nearest leaf with the histogram available before shooting.

Arum Lily on kitchen table

66% crop

100% crop

hookshanks's gear list:hookshanks's gear list
Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III +4 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow