Recommend me a starter film camera for a retro look...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JonathanCaliber
JonathanCaliber Forum Member • Posts: 95
Recommend me a starter film camera for a retro look...

I'm looking to get into film photography with a budget of $80-$200 for the whole kit. This is what I want.

#1. RETRO LOOK
I want the photos to look like they came straight out of the 70's. Quality is not that important - I want that sandy, warm, soft film look... "character" in other words.

#2. PORTABILITY
I want something ultra-compact, but still made in the classic "camera" style, not a plastic rectangle. Ideally it would fit in my pocket but it should at least fit in my glove compartment - I want to use it as my "shoot anywhere" camera.

#3. LENS
I shoot portraits a lot so something that flatters the face is what I want. 50mm effective focal length would be ideal I think, I rarely shoot things that aren't people.

...again, the price range is $80-200 for everything including film, I don't want film that's way too expensive. I read that 110 film is a great starting point for the crappy 70's look, but does the look mainly come from using high ISO film and purposely developing your photos badly? Should I develop the photos myself or is the equipment too expensive? I'd like to keep this as cheap as possible.

I basically want something that's immediately identifiable as 70's tech even if I post it to Facebook, if it's close to a DSLR or phone look then I might as well just use my phone and an Instagram filter.

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow