80D vs 6DMII - My Own Test

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Noogy
Noogy Senior Member • Posts: 1,920
80D vs 6DMII - My Own Test

The 17-40mm f/4L was used on the 80D, at 40mm. The 70-200mm f/4L IS USM was used on the 6DMII, at 70mm. All shots were taken using a tripod. Saturation settings same. NR across all shots is at 3 on DPP. AWB White Priority both bodies. All taken on Standard picture profile. Converted from RAW to JPEG on DPP.

At ISO1600, the 6DMII has nothing much to write home about on IQ against the 80D.

Up to ISO3200, the two cameras do not differ that much in terms of IQ and noise. At ISO6400, the 6DMII starts showing some edge. Beyond that, the 80D can't keep up anymore.

While this does not settle the debate on DR, etc., I am sharing this to provide a bit of real-world use comparison. I maintain the 80D is perhaps Canon's best cropped body in terms of IQ. It's the reason I bought the M6, which has the same sensor. However, I am now finding myself using the 80D sparsely, unless I need reach. The 6DMII has taken its place for our corporate events use where we photograph a lot of people. Since most of these events are indoors, it is common we shoot at ISO3200-ISO10000, where the 6DMII gives me more confidence. If you already own the 80D and hardly shoot above ISO3200, you absolutely do not have a game-changing need to upgrade to the 6DMII.

Pardon the subtle differences on framing, etc. This is not meant to be scientific. Just the same, hope you find this useful.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Noogy's gear list:Noogy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +14 more
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow