Bonkers for considering Profoto A1?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,209
Bonkers for considering Profoto A1?

Just to give you a bit of background;

I photograph as a hobby (no paid work), but have been assisting on weddings recently - and it's something I may look to explore in 2018.

When in Canon land, I had 2x Godox V860II-C's, and the X1T-C trigger. A very nice system for the money, if a little uninspiring - I always found it's output to be harsh (regardless of diffusion method, yet excellent value).

I've been taking a look at the "I haven't been paid to do this review, but Profoto flew me out to Sweden and gave me £1,700 of kit" reviews, and the A1 looks like everything I've ever dreamed of. Just at a ludicrously expensive price.

Should a hobbyist really be considering this as an option? Am I just been buttered up by excellent marketing? Would I get more than good enough results from the V860II-S if I spent more quality time with it? Interested to know if anyone is in the same boat, or has any words of guidance.

I've a little while to make a decision (either waiting for Godox XPro-S or A1 for Sony), so I can try clear the head a little..

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a9 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow