Some Animals at Disney's Kingdom w/FE70-300mm

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,511
Some Animals at Disney's Kingdom w/FE70-300mm

My third post of Disney trip stuff from September, which I'm trying to keep mixed in with the bird and wildlife posts just to keep things different - though this time they are animals so not THAT different!  These aren't wild though - they're at Disney's version of a zoo - the Animal Kingdom theme park...with the animals generally having more room, cageless penned areas, and free roam savannah areas, and with their animals sourced from other zoos or rescued captive animals rather than pulled from the wild, they do a pretty nice job as zoos go, whether you agree with the general concept of zoos or not.

Most of the photos were taken on the Kilimanjaro Safari Ride, which is a drive-through Savannah area with the animals allowed to roam free and the trucks trackless and also free-roam...it's one of the very few rides where Disney will tolerate random delays when a line of people are waiting to board - if your truck finds itself blocked by a rhino who feels like standing in the middle of the road for 10 minutes...then that's where you're going to stay, and the line back at the loading center will get longer and longer waiting for the delayed trucks to return.  The ride-through can be 15 minutes or 40 minutes, depending on those animal delays.

Other photos are from the various walk-through nature trails in both the Africa and Asia sections of the park.  All photos taken with the A6300 and FE70-300mm G OSS lens, and posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

A beautifully colored wildebeest, or 'gnu', on the open grasslands, grazing

An eland, I believe, staying in the shady spots on a hot Florida day

A springbok with an itch he's got to scratch

What do night hunters like hyena do during the day?  Yep...sleep.

White rhinos feeding in the shade...there were a few more trees here in the past, but Hurricane Irma took some of those away!

Another view of the two rhinos, through the trees that did survive the hurricane

Look out!  Hippo rising from the dark waters - not what you'd want to see in a small canoe.  But behind thick, smeared, fingerprint-covered glass - it's safe

The always cute meercat, always on lookout

And if one meercat is cute, then a whole 'mob' of meercats on alert is even cuter

This small 4-foot long shark is actually a very large catfish...a shark catfish to be precise

A Komodo dragon, sunning itself on the rocks

Closeup of Mr. Komodo

A colorful nicobar pigeon, right at my feet in the Asia aviary - probably hoping I had some food

I made a last-minute decision to jump into the Flights of Wonder bird show - late in the afternoon, terrible light as the entire stadium was in shadow - but still I thought it might be fun to shoot some birds flying over people's heads.  This eagle owl was jetting right at head-level through the audience, and I shot at ISO6400 two stops underexposed, raising it in post which is why so grainy.  But focus stayed with the bird!

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow