Nikon 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR vs Nikon 200mm F2G VR + (TC-14E/TC-20E)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
takedefoto New Member • Posts: 4
Nikon 200-500mm F/5.6E ED VR vs Nikon 200mm F2G VR + (TC-14E/TC-20E)

An avid portrait photographer looking to remove myself from my comfort zone and expand my skillset. Looking to take up wildlife photography and have some questions on long teles.

Ultimately I'd like to get my hands on the Nikon 500mm F/4E FL but like most photographers it is quite outside the range of my current budget.

I already own the Nikon 200mm F/2 VR that I love using for portraits and sports, but I am thinking 200mm will be too short for wildlife photography.

Where would my money be better spent while I save up for the 500mm?

Nikon 200mm F2G VR w/ TC-14E & TC-20E (additional cost ~1000USD)

OR

Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR (additional cost ~1400USD)

I have thought about this and it boils down to two things, how soft will the teleconverters make the 200mm f2 compared to the 200-500mm? and will having to switch or remove the teleconverter make me miss the shot compared to the flexibility having a zoom ring with the 200-500mm?

I also have explored the possibility of renting these options and found that companies that operate in or ship to my country have shuddered operations due to mail theft.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mpe
mpe
mpe
mpe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow