What is your dream retro style camera?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MisJay Regular Member • Posts: 117
What is your dream retro style camera?

Now that we all know the Yashica thing they’ve been teasing for weeks is a joke, I’m just wondering what would be a nice, realistic (so no digital 35mm film cartridges that fits film cameras)  idea for a retro style camera?

I really don’t think it should be that difficult. How about a rangefinder with only the bare minimum electronics for a digital sensor that only captures RAW, with nothing else, no auto focus, no live view no screen. You get a thumb winder which generates just enough power to take one photo and probably some more to power a light meter.

And then you make an app or software on PC that takes this RAW file and easily develops it with a few presets and a few basic sliders for exposure, contrast etc...  You can maybe add a time delay or some fancy transition effects of the image appearing gradually or whatever. Or maybe you have to connect the camera to your phone/PC to set a film type, and then it only has enough internal memory to take 36 RAW fils, which are then tagged with the type of film they are supposed to be on, and are read by the app once you offload them from the camera.

Obviously this would be more expensive but at least it would be a genuine attempt rather than a crappy point&shoot with a non-functional winder, and fake film rolls that is no different from just pressing a button. Everything about this product is fake, you wind the thing not because it needs winding, only because you want to pretend to be retro. You put in a fake film not because it needs it but because you want to pretend to be retro.

Obviously, a Leica is a respectable retro style camera too, especially the ones that don’t even have a screen on the back, that works too. But I just wanted one that isn’t also associated with a luxury brand.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow