Focus live view VS optical viewfinder?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP shenlonco Regular Member • Posts: 280
Re: Focus live view VS optical viewfinder?

MikeJ9116 wrote:

shenlonco wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

shenlonco wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

shenlonco wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

shenlonco wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

shenlonco wrote:

MikeJ9116 wrote:

PGH423 wrote:

shenlonco wrote:

PGH423 wrote:

I prefer using live view on my SL1 for photography but I hate how much slower the focus is and the cycle time between shots. Is this still a problem on the newer Canon DSLRs? I've heard the SL2's live view is quite fast but I don't if that's referring to focus and/or cycle time.

Here is a little test video I did for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neG9hkxEWug

Thanks, I really appreciate that. Hmmm. On a positive note, that is WAY faster than the SL1. However, the cycle time does seem to be significantly slower than my Galaxy S7 Edge. I'm not sure if that's because it's a much bigger file that the SL2 is saving. Were you shooting raw? Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the advantages a DSLR offers over a cell phone. But I was hoping it would be just as fast as my S7.

If you are recording JPG only then the SL2 will shoot at 5 fps continuously until the memory card fills or the battery dies. You will need a fast memory card to get this performance. It looks like the camera in the video is recording RAW or RAW + JPG.

This was live view mode that's why it is slower and I was using J peg I do have a 95mb second sandisk extreme card also.

Also I was using the bigger center type focus not the single type focus but I don't think it really makes it shoot any faster?

I will check the LV fps when my wife gets home. She is using the SL2 to shoot the grandkid right now. I know the fps you show in the video is about about what I got shooting RAW, RAW+JPG or JPG only through the OVF until I upgraded to a Sandisk Extreme Pro memory card. I used Sandisk Extreme 95 m/s cards but they did not allow continuous 5 fps shooting with JPG only. The Extreme Pro cards also improved RAW and RAW+JPG recording as the buffer would clear faster.

This is what I used I think it's the one you have?

I have this one:

Do you have the specs on them I think they are the same 3 in the U and 10 in the c ?

When it comes to memory cards you can't go by what is stamped on them. Their performance varies widely even for cards rated the same. I went with this specific card as it was tested in a group and came out as the second highest performer. The manufacturer part number is: SDSDXXG-064G-GN4IN Also, there are a lot of knock offs that are not what they claim. I bought mine from B&H to ensure I got the real thing. If you have this exact card then you should be able to shoot JPG only at 5 fps continuously without the buffer filling and the fps slowing down. When I received the card I ran off a 30 second JPG only burst with no buffing before I decided to stop. Another perk was the buffer cleared faster when recording RAW files.

Hi mine don't stop after 5 large Jpeg photos, in live mode in fast action scene setting I just stopped shooting not because the camera stopped.

I purchased mine from B&H and sandisk rates it the same as yours 95mb read and write I don't think sandisk measures all there cards in a different lab test in a different way.

did you see this they show what card writes fastest in the SL2 to the right a bit in the rows with time specs.

https://alikgriffin.com/fastest-memory-cards-canon-sl2-eos-200d/

Most times the speed you see on the label is read speed and not write speed. The write speed is almost always lower than the read speed. Write speed is what matters for use in cameras. Many cards have a write speed half their advertised read speed.

Here is a link to a video I made showing fps with focus through the OVF and in LV: https://youtu.be/jykx7KiGdJM I am using the card I referenced earlier.

Hi I think mine works the same mine is 95mb read and I think 90 write speed from the specs on sandisks site, you using continuous shooting mode? Mine looked slower in LV only because I let off the shoot button and then started again and I stopped the video because it just was not slowing down.

Can you shoot 5 fps with OVF focus continuously for 30 seconds, or more, with no buffering? I found that some Sandisk 95 m/s cards I have would not give this level of performance.

I just did the same test as you and mine works the same in L Jpeg, it's when you do the same test in RAW you get 5 fast shots then the rest shoot a little slower after the first 5.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow