Are my lenses good enough for a D850?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
codepoet_tx Junior Member • Posts: 32
Are my lenses good enough for a D850?

For the past 5 years, I've been using a D800.

My wife and I go on nature walks several times each week.  I take pictures of whatever we find and she posts them on iNaturalist.  The subjects range from distant birds and birds in flight to dragonflies, damselflies, and small flowers.  I don't print large (usually 8x10, maybe 16x20, but many of the small subjects require considerable cropping).

I've been thinking strongly about adding a second body so that I might have say a telephoto and a macro lens on all the walks.  I don't feel comfortable changing lenses in the midst of dust, ragweed pollen, etc.  Even if I did, the moment that I would mount my macro lens, some bird would fly over.

As I understand it, the D850 would give me these advantages:

1) Faster autofocus for birds in flight

2) Smaller autofocus points to pick out an insect in blades of grass

3) Pivoting LCD screen to make LV more practical

However, am I wasting my money with my current set of lenses?  I don't have the 'holy trinity' of 2.8 lenses.  Rather:

AF-S 80-400 f4.5-5.6 G ED

AF-S 24-120 f4 G ED

AF-S 16-35 f4 G ED

AF-S Micro 105 f2.8 G ED

AF-S 50 f1.8 G

AF-S 85 1.8 G

Thanks,

codepoet_tx's gear list:codepoet_tx's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +3 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
mpe
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow