RX10iv PDAF Absolutely Delighted!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Horacecoker Senior Member • Posts: 1,841
RX10iv PDAF Absolutely Delighted!

Right folks I've had a little play and have discovered that in single shot auto focus there is no difference that I can see from the iii. I tried my little test using a small fixed branch in the foreground (no birds about). Previously when I focused beyond this branch with the iii, then tried to focus back on it, the camera just refuses to even see it never mind focus on it even though I can still see the branch in the viewfinder albeit completely blurred and out of focus. The iv also fails this test, it is exactly the same as the iii. I was truly disappointed at this. It seems to me that PDAF is not used at all in normal single shot auto focus mode. So if folk only use this mode they will see no difference in focusing speed or acquisition (or lack of acquisition) from the iii to the iv. Bear in mind that I'm using center focus area. I don't like wide, I prefer to decide what to focus on. But I then tried wide - no difference it couldn't refocus on the branch because I believe it was still using CDAF and because the branch was so much out of focus and it was a cloudy day there was no contrast. At this point I thought I'd made a mistake not waiting for the reviews.

I then switched to continuous focus but it would only bring PDAF into play if I was on wide focus area. You can see when it's using PDAF because of the tiny green focusing boxes appearing in little clusters anywhere on the screen except the extreme edges. This is not what I wanted as I want the camera to focus on what I want not what it thinks I want. That has always meant using the centre box on the subject and recomposing if necessary. After a lot of experimenting I finally hit upon the the ideal setting for me for static birds and of course most other static subjects. For starters it seems the camera has to be set to continuous auto focus for PDAF to kick in. I may be wrong on this, it's early days yet for me.

Anyway I set the switch on the camera to continuous then set the focus area to Expand Flexible spot. What you now get is the tiny focusing box bang smack in the centre of the screen which is where I want it but you also get the large box as well for back up, that's why it's called expand flexible spot. I was gobsmacked with what happened when I redid the test with this setting. The camera has no trouble at all seeing the out of focus branch! Focus is near instant from the green hedge beyond the branch and back to the branch every time. I could see why too in the viewfinder, it was using both PDAF and CDAF, the cluster of tiny green boxes appeared but only inside the larger box in the centre of the screen which is exactly what I wanted. I tired from infinity then back to the branch it was near instant with no hunting whatsoever (forget to mention I'm on 600m focal length during the testing). Of course I then tried different subjects with and without contrast even in fairly low light inside the house on blank walls. It nailed the focus every time. Compared to the iii it is a complete revelation to me and worth every penny of the £1000 it's cost me to change.

Of course you don't get the conformation beep when using continuous focusing but neither do you need it from what I've seen so far. Whatever I pointed at was instantly in focus! You still get the green light and the tiny centre box turns green.

At this stage I've not even got round to setting the focusing up for BIF but from what I've learned already I just know it's going to be a winner.

David

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow