Latest G1X.3 rumour: This changes things

Started Sep 29, 2017 | Discussions thread
2eyesee Senior Member • Posts: 2,194
Re: Distortion is nice

tokumeino wrote:

Personally, if I buy a fixed lens camera, I'd like it to feature distortion on the WA side. To me, that was actually a keypoint for buying a G7X rater than its Sony counterpart.

Indeed, there are situations where you need lines to remain straight (brickwalls, architecture ...) but there are many others where I prefer round shapes to appear rounder on the edges (people, nature...). WA rectilinear lenses stretch objects and it is a flaw as well. A distorted lens offers the possibility to choose in post.

Example with G7XII samples on DPR :

This is what you get from a RAW capture at 24mm FF eq, OOC or in LR : rectilinear projection but stretched (and soft) corners. It is also what you would get from a not much distorted Sony RX100III.

This is what you get with a decent RAW converter : wider angle and more natural looking objects on the edges. With a not so distrorted RX100III, you cannot get that while you can with a G7X.

I like to have the ability to produce the 2nd image if I need to. So depending on your particular subject, distortion is not necessarily a bad thing.

You can do this with the RX100 III to. Here's one of my shots - the SOOC JPEG compared to the RAW processed in Capture One Express with no distortion correction:

RX100 III:  SOOC JPEG

RX100 III: RAW process in Capture One Express with no distortion correction

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
0lf
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
0lf
0lf
0lf
0lf
0lf
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
0lf
0lf
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow