T7i dynamic range seems off

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jayco12 New Member • Posts: 5
T7i dynamic range seems off

Hey,

So Im new to the forum, but not as new to photography.
Ive been playing around with long exposure shots and time lapse videos for almost 10 years now (though, always with cellphones, albeit usually in manual mode) - so I have some basic understanding of ISO, exposure, focus, etc.
Anyways, I traveled to Norway 2 weeks ago and decided it was finally the time reward myself and buy a DSLR , one that will take some unforgettable pictures in one of the world's most beautiful countries, so I though I'd play it safe and get a Canon 800D with 18-55mm kit lens.

Its quite an amazing camera (and an unbelievable upgrade to my current LG G5 :-D), but throughout the trip I was really disappointed by the dynamic range on the camera. Time and time again the camera was blowing out one part of the photo or darkening out the other, to the point I had to resort to my G5 in HDR mode to get the shot I wanted.
I'm attaching some examples below.

In general, I was left disappointed by the 800D landscape photograpy and specifically its handling of dynamic range, for a $1000 I was looking for a better performance. I'd really love your advice, any camera you guys can recommend in the under $1200 range that would do better in that regard and image quality too? so I wont have to resort to bracketing and post to get the right shot? (and without using canon's art HDR mode, because its just makes photos look fake)

Since I mostly shoot long exposure and landscapes (city landscape too), things like AF tracking, easy menus and high shooting fps for action shots arent that important for me.
Some models that I though might be an upgrade D5600, Fujifilm X-T20. Panasonic DMC-G85.

Thanks for the help!

Sky overexposed

Sky overexposed

Landscape underexposed

Landscape underexposed

Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D5600 Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow