Commlite CN-ENF-E1 review

Started Oct 2, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jarek leo
jarek leo Contributing Member • Posts: 967
Commlite CN-ENF-E1 review

I know this is Adapted Lens forum but I feel this review belongs here for all of us who dream of using Nikon lenses of various generations on Sony E cameras. The full review is available at my blog:

https://towarzystwonieustraszonychsoczewek.blogspot.com/2017/10/akcesorium-niedoskonae-adapter-commlite.html#more

It is in Polish but here is a summary in English:

Commlite CN-ENF-E1: an imperfect accessory

Most of the time the adapter fails to operate correctly with manual Ai and AiS lenses. Despite having the latest firmware installed, in case of AF lenses it repeatedly loses electric contact, crashes, and at times displays incorrect lens speed. As it has no AF motor, autofocus is not possible with “screwdriver” lenses. Even the range of uses recommended by the manufacturer is strictly limited to phase detect AF with the second generation of Sony FE full-frame cameras – the table lists just A7 II and A7R II – plus APS-C format a6300. On a positive note, VR works in compatible lenses, EXIF data is correctly embedded, and in the case of non-VR lenses the focal length is correctly fed to the shake reduction system on the sensor. When it does not crash, it renders usable AF with compatible lenses – the manufacturer’s tables are quoted here. Still, I would never take this combination on a professional assignment. The problem is that being so imperfect - and having no real competition - it is also indispensable for some uses. Generally I would say one must be out of mind to buy for close to 400 USD an accessory that hardly works as intended. I had some serious reasons to do so. First, it is the only route to enable aperture control on Sony A7R II with my two perspective correction lenses: PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED oraz PC-E Micro Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED. The same concerns excellent wide-angle Irix lenses. Second, without the adapter I would be unable to perform many of the planned comparative tests of optics from various systems on Sony A7R II. But to those users of Nikon system who have been contemplating transition to Sony FE bodies to make full use of AF Nikkor of all generations via Commlite CN-ENF-E1, I can only say: it’s a pipe dream. AF Nikkors had better stay on Nikons.

jarek leo's gear list:jarek leo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Nikon D850
Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow