Lots of water inside Pro 12-40. Help?

Started Oct 1, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sac2002 Forum Member • Posts: 85
Lots of water inside Pro 12-40. Help?

In the past I've used my EM-1 mk1 and Olympus pro 12-40 in relatively harsh conditions with no issues.  Yesterday I submerged the bottom third of the camera/lens to try and get a half water/half air shot of some friendly (freshwater aquarium) fish.  I did zoom the lens in/out while it was partially submerged.

I pulled the camera out of the water, dried off the few drops of water on the exterior, and went on my way. The next time I lifted the camera up to shoot, there was a lot of water in the lens. As in, not condensation, but actual water drops I could see rolling around inside the front element. There is no water inside the camera body as far as I can tell.

Was I just stupid and asked too much of the weather sealing of the lens? Was my mistake to operate the zoom? Did I get a unit with weak seals for it to leak that much in 30sec of partial submersion?

Overall how badly damaged would you guess it is?

Are there any teardown threads/videos for the 12-40 pro?  (if I wanted to try it myself - No warranty as it was a grey market unit from Korea)

Who could I send it to and what might it cost if I want to pay for repair?  (third party, as Olympus probably won't service a grey market unit - I'm OK with that, I understood and willingly took that risk at the time of purchase)

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
Yxa
NCV
NCV
NCV
Yxa
Yxa
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Dan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow