Hand Hold Ability (is that 1, 2 or 3 words?)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
michaeljberman Senior Member • Posts: 1,515
Hand Hold Ability (is that 1, 2 or 3 words?)

The reports I’m reading talk about needing a higher shutter speed to maintain sharpness on the D-850.

I have an idea how that can be, my understanding of the physics would be like this:

On the D-850, (vs my D-700) the basic pixel is only half as high and half as wide (that is how you get about 4 times as many in the same area). Sharpness is how much of an angle the “light point” will move.   (Lot of talk on line about the angle and the blur in mm for sharpness).

Now if the motion causes the light point to fall on more than one pixel, then the edge will start to be softer. With the pixel being only half the size (width or length) it sounds like you need to reduce the motion by the same factor.

So that makes me think hand hold ability, without VR will be the same as if the lens was two times the focus length.

With out VR the old rule for a 35 mm FF was for normal work to have a shutter speed of 1/FL (FL is focus length of the lens) so this gives for a 50mm lens 1/50 second and for critical work you need to go with 1/(FL times 2) or 1/100 second.  In the real world that would be 1/60 and 1/125 second.

So it sounds like for the D-850 we may be at 1/2FL for normal and 1/4FL for critical work. (for the same 50 mm lens here we would be at 1/100 and 1/200 OK, 1/125 & 1/250 of a second.

Also how does the VR work for this? Is the VR going to give the same number of stops or will it also be less due to the small pixel? VR can reduce the motion by some factor, but this may also have new limits to how well it will work with the smaller pixel. VR has improved over time, it will be interesting to see how the old and new VR lens work on this system

Please let me know your experience with the D-850 and handhold ability with both VR on and off.

My D-850 is still on order. . . .

Mike

-- hide signature --

If you have low standards, you can take a look:
http://michaeljberman.zenfolio.com

michaeljberman's gear list:michaeljberman's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow