DIY Focus Calibration Fix for Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 that Doesn't Reach Infinity Focus

Started Aug 9, 2017 | Discussions thread
wiryawan
OP wiryawan Regular Member • Posts: 232
Re: DIY Focus Calibration Fix for Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 that Doesn't Reach Infinity Focus

Enrique sorry for the delayed response, I was caught up in so many things. Wow sorry to hear about the customer service. I knew that I wouldn't want to deal with them on the first place, so I opened my own lens and tried to repair it myself.

In my case, it's just a single sheet of regular printer paper (A4 printer/copy paper). Depending on how bad the miscalibration is, you might want thinner or thicker paper. Hope this helps!

EnriqueFreire wrote:

I have received the second copy of my Laowa 7.5mm f/2.0 lens (the first one returned because focusing ring miscalibrated or something like that). I have sent them a lot of photos showing the problem (including photos showing the lens & focusing ring position for each photo / aperture), but they did not want to admite the lens had a problem. Anyway, almost a month (and more than 10 emails) later they have sent me another lens but it faces the same problem of the first one. It's really sharp at f/2.0 with focusing distances < 2 or 3 meters, but can't focus properly anything beyond that. I emailed Laowa again but they seem to be missing and do not want to respond my emails. It's a pity, because what could be a great lens is ruined by very bad quality control and worse customer support.

Now I need to decide if open a PayPal dispute in order to recover my money, wait a few weeks more for them or try to fix it by myself following your instructions.

Gary, specifically, what was the total thickness did you use for the spacer (paper in your case)?

____

This is a center crop of the photo (f/2, focusing ring at the top right position, past infinity) which I have sent them ... and they said couldn't find any fault.

-- hide signature --

Best wishes,
Gary
ig: bejophotography
blog: http://bejo-photography,blogspot.com and http://bejophotographyblog.blogspot.com

wiryawan's gear list:wiryawan's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow