The Leica Q - Finally affordable

Started Sep 28, 2017 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lobbamobba Contributing Member • Posts: 514
The Leica Q - Finally affordable

The Leica Q is in my opinion a camera with everything a street shooter ever needed crammed into one camera. The only reason to not buying one has been cost.

Ive never thought of it as expensive. Compares to an M-body + 28mm Summilux its down right cheap.
And to this date there is no comparable competition depending on needs.
If you just want a 28mm (eq) street shooter that gets the job done, sure, get a GRii and call it a day.

But if you want an excellent viewfinder, great build, super fast AF, nice controls, really nice interface, shallow depth of field, good lowligt and a lens that just blows everything else away (imo). Well then you need to spend a little more.

So I wanted to buy the camera but couldn't spend the cash

Today is different

I sold my X100f and what I got from it covered exactly half the cost of a Leica Q in the biggest camera store in Sweden with warranty.
And on the private used market it is even a bit cheaper.

The price of two used x100f is a lot of money. But if this is a serious hobby its not totally out of reach. It still cost way less than for example an X-Pro2 p+ good lens.
It was also much cheaper than for example a Sony A7sii body only.
A lot of money but reachable (depending on your economic status of course).

Those who watch my reviews know that I firmly believe that no singe camera on earth is "better" than another. It always, ALWAYS, depends on the users needs.

So I'm not going to state that the Q is "better" than the x100f in every aspect.
But personally I feel that I got more than twice the camera for twice the cost.

I made a mini review (didn't have time, had to shot some quick B-roll in a hotel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ZZJ7iC5v4

Samples

Quick snap on my way to work. It has been cropped.

Looking sharp.

This is about as dark as it gets on a street in Sweden. No problem for the Q.

Leica Q (Typ 116)
24 megapixels • 3 screen • 28 mm
Announced: Jun 10, 2015
Lobbamobba's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
great
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica Q
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow