Mauna Kea (Hawaii) Astrophotography advice?

Started Sep 27, 2017 | Discussions thread
Jerry-astro
OP MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 11,021
Wow... fantastic

Greg, you are literally a font of knowledge on this subject. Many thanks for weighing in on the thread. I've had some experience in shooting starscapes, which helps, but there's a lot of detail and excellent advice in this post that I and others will benefit from.

Unfortunately, using a Polarie isn't an option for me, since I currently don't own one and would probably find it difficult to have one available in Hawaii. This means I'll be pretty limited to 25s or so exposures when capturing a starscape. Unfortunately, the moon will probably be the biggest issue I will encounter, though towards the end of my stay, it doesn't rise until nearly 11pm, which, given the early sunsets in Hawaii, might afford a few hours of dark skies.

My kit is pretty well established (X-T2) and the UWA I'm using is a Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8.  It rates right up there for astrophotography... perhaps just a touch behind the Rokinon based on some excellent reviews in a variety of astro sites.  You can see a couple of examples I shot a few days ago in the weekly photo thread.

I will bookmark your post and absolutely make use of some of your excellent recommendations, and thanks so much again for taking the time to share all this excellent advice.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow