E-mount for Nikon MILC, good idea or not?

Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 55,042
Re: Pretty sure this is the last thing you should expect

cosmicnode wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

aut0maticdan wrote:

No doubt. It have the batis 25 and loxia 35. I think they are pretty ideal lenses for a small compact MILC. I would hope a Nikon mount gets similar treatment.

nikon would do well making a similar flange distance with wider mount. It would overcome some shortcomings of emount.

Yes, I'm not arguing against a new Nikon mount (that after all is Nikon's decision to make) nor that if they develop one, making its throat larger would not be be a good idea. I'm simply saying that a lot of what has been put about concerning the e-mount is based on incorrect optics.

As for the decision itself, it has merits and demerits, and actually depends on what Nikon does. The e-mount gives them a quick in to an existing infrastructure and allows Nikon lenses to compete in what is a decent market, while bringing about lens competition for Nikon products earlier than would otherwise happen.

A new mount keeps the early market to themselves. Even with a new mount, there are consequences of different choices. If they choose a longer register, they pretty much rule out adapters from other formats. I can see them going with a 34.85mm register and a 49mm throat, simply because of the historical association with the Nikon S rangefinder (though I'd expect it would be a modern bayonet).

-- hide signature --

Tinkety tonk old fruit, & down with the Nazis!

It's difficult for Nikon to find a register that would allow lenses from other manufacturers to fit via an adaptor, if they wanted to. The rear of a Sony lens is 12mm off the sensor and similar for Fuji a new mount that allowed a slim adapter would probably have the sensor protruding from the body to allow for that. Only Nikons biggest competitor Canon would benifit from a adaptor if Nikon used a 18mm registration, although if Sony supported the A mount it would also be able to fit.

The register is the distance from the focal plane to the mount flange. The back focus, which is the distance between the last element and the focal plane is different and varies from lens to lens. Most mounts have an implicit minimum back focus, though sometimes that gets varied. To allow an adapter, one of two things has to happen. Either the register of the host mount needs to be enough smaller than the adapted mount that an adapter of sufficient mechanical thickness can fit between the two, or the throat of the host mount must be large enough that the adapted mount can fit entirely within (as happens for a Leica M to LSM adapter). So, if Nikon adopted, say 16mm or else a 18mm with a really big throat, they could adapt to the E-mount. The biggest problem is the contact location, which is hard to manage if the contacts are coincident, but if Nikon put the contacts at the top, as for the F mount, that could be managed. However, Nikon being Nikon, I think they are unlikely to go out of their way to allow easy use of adapters.

I think adapterwise, their biggest concern would be the video/cinema market, and therefore PL mount.

I agree with you that by choosing a longer register it would prevent adaptors and force users to only buy native Nikon mount lenses. Once every manufacturer changes to a short register the days of using new current lenses on other bodies will be gone. You will always be able to fit old tech lenses on your super tech body via an adaptor, but is that what people want, there is a group that use old lenses for fun and character but they are a minority.

But, I think it is one of the big attractions of mirrorless. You see so many people using legacy lenses on their Sonys.

if you think about it a new mount would have to leave enough room for Nikon to be able to produce a adaptor to use Nikon lenses on the new body , your example of 34.85mm only leave's approx 12mm for a adaptor which is not enough for electronics, aperture motor, and possibly focus motor. One of Nikons patents shows a adaptor with a mirror for pdaf focussing.

12mm is plenty for electronics and motors, those things can be tiny (and don't have to be contained within the cylinder of the adapter). The patent would be similar to the Minolta A to E mount adapters that Sony makes. Sure, it would stop them doing that, but that's not a brilliant idea anyway. I would guess Nikon's more likely to have on-sensor PDAF.

-- hide signature --

Tinkety tonk old fruit, & down with the Nazis!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow