E-mount for Nikon MILC, good idea or not?

Started 10 months ago | Polls thread
cosmicnode Senior Member • Posts: 2,684
Re: Pretty sure this is the last thing you should expect

bobn2 wrote:

aut0maticdan wrote:

No doubt. It have the batis 25 and loxia 35. I think they are pretty ideal lenses for a small compact MILC. I would hope a Nikon mount gets similar treatment.

nikon would do well making a similar flange distance with wider mount. It would overcome some shortcomings of emount.

Yes, I'm not arguing against a new Nikon mount (that after all is Nikon's decision to make) nor that if they develop one, making its throat larger would not be be a good idea. I'm simply saying that a lot of what has been put about concerning the e-mount is based on incorrect optics.

As for the decision itself, it has merits and demerits, and actually depends on what Nikon does. The e-mount gives them a quick in to an existing infrastructure and allows Nikon lenses to compete in what is a decent market, while bringing about lens competition for Nikon products earlier than would otherwise happen.

A new mount keeps the early market to themselves. Even with a new mount, there are consequences of different choices. If they choose a longer register, they pretty much rule out adapters from other formats. I can see them going with a 34.85mm register and a 49mm throat, simply because of the historical association with the Nikon S rangefinder (though I'd expect it would be a modern bayonet).

-- hide signature --

Tinkety tonk old fruit, & down with the Nazis!
Bob

It's difficult for Nikon to find a register that would allow lenses from other manufacturers to fit via an adaptor, if they wanted to. The rear of a Sony lens is 12mm off the sensor and similar for Fuji a new mount that allowed a slim adapter would probably have the sensor protruding from the body to allow for that. Only Nikons biggest competitor Canon would benifit from a adaptor if Nikon used a 18mm registration, although if Sony supported the A mount it would also be able to fit. I agree with you that by choosing a longer register it would prevent adaptors and force users to only buy native Nikon mount lenses. Once every manufacturer changes to a short register the days of using new current lenses on other bodies will be gone. You will always be able to fit old tech lenses on your super tech body via an adaptor, but is that what people want, there is a group that use old lenses for fun and character but they are a minority.

if you think about it a new mount would have to leave enough room for Nikon to be able to produce a adaptor to use Nikon lenses on the new body , your example of 34.85mm only leave's approx 12mm for a adaptor which is not enough for electronics, aperture motor, and possibly focus motor. One of Nikons patents shows a adaptor with a mirror for pdaf focussing.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow