Mauna Kea (Hawaii) Astrophotography advice?

Started Sep 27, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 11,040
Mauna Kea (Hawaii) Astrophotography advice?

I will be traveling to the Big Island (Hawaii) in less than 2 weeks and I'd like to be able to do a bit of astrophotography at altitude on Mauna Kea.  I understand that conditions may be challenging (wind, cold, etc.) but would love some advice on how to best set this up.  My preference would be to go with some sort of a tour (so I can avoid driving).  However, my intention is not so much to gaze through telescopes but rather to set up my tripod and X-T2 and do both starscape and possible some DSO (deep sky object) photography, concentrating on larger targets that don't require a ton of magnification.  I'm having trouble finding anyone that offers that sort of experience.

Curious if anyone on the forum has done this before and can offer some advice.  I'd prefer not to take the drive on my own, as it can be a bit hazardous.  If anyone is aware of tours that might cater to DIY photography, I'd sure love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you might have, folks!

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +2 more
Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow