Is there any improvment in IQ - did it stop with the a58?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Anders_Nilsson Regular Member • Posts: 185
Is there any improvment in IQ - did it stop with the a58?

I'm contemplating a second body to my a99. Main reason is that I would like a cheap UWA for landscapes and the SAL1635z is a bit beyond what I'm willing to pay.

I have enlightened myself by downloading and peeping on test images from the Imaging Resource comparometer. When I check at 100% I find that the a58 is not bettered (what I can see) by either of the a99, Nikon D3400, D5600 or Canon T6i. Of course the a99ii, A9 and later a7's are better but again, beyond my budget.

What is the opinion of the forum, did technical IQ stop with the a58 or have I missed something? My intent is to match the a58 with the Tokina 11-16 which seems to have received good reviews and by that get a cheap UWA. The combo would be cheaper than either of the SEL1018 for my NEX-6 or the SAL1635z. And also I could then put the Tamron 16-300 on it for holiday use when I don't want to carry a lot. My original intent was to  buy a D3400 or D5500 for this purpose but I was surprised to see that they don't seem to provide better technical IQ than the a58 and also I've read issues with live AF in Nikon cameras.

I live in China so the a68 is not easily available and the a77ii is a bit expensive for my purposes. And I really would like the MI shoe so I can keep only one set of flashes (I do not liek the adapters).

I read that the a58 lost the spirit level in the finder that the a5 has, is there a large difference in practical IQ between these two?

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
EXX
EXX
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow