Body or lens...Which to Upgrade

Started Sep 26, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Swift One Regular Member • Posts: 135
Body or lens...Which to Upgrade

I have been shooting with the D5300 since the beginning of the year.  It's a great camera and I have learned quite a bit about photography with it.  Gotten some great pics.  I have found a genre of photography that I really like.  Abandoned places (Urbex).  Love shooting them.  Up to this point I have been using my 5300 with the kit lens (18-55 VRII) and the 35 1.8G.  Both lenses have given me good pics.  But, with the nature of shooting abandoned places comes poor lighting conditions and longer exposure times.   Which brings me to my questions.

I see that the D7500 has a higher native ISO performance than the D5300.  Am I gaining a whole lot of low light performance if I move to the D7500?  I know full frame is optimal here but, I am not in the market for one.  The size of the pixels (each pixel, not total amount) are also bigger on the 7500 and I read that it can be good for low light performance.  I am also considering upgrading my lens to a Nikon 16-80 or a Nikon 16-85. Generally, I shoot on ISO 100 but is the bigger pixel on the 7500 going to give me better images at ISO 100 than my 5300?

Don't get me wrong, I like my 5300.  There area few things on the 7500 that I like, but I am wondering if i am gaining any real ground with ISO performance moving up to a 7500 or would a better lens yield better results.

Swift One's gear list:Swift One's gear list
Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art
Nikon D5300 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow