D500 as allround/travel camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lars Regular Member • Posts: 447
D500 as allround/travel camera

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the D500, but first let me give you some background. I have been shooting SLRs and DSLRs for +30 years, in the past years with the D200, D90, D7200. I switched to Fuji X-T2 to lighten the load, but I was not happy for two  reasons.

First, lenses. While the Fuji lenses are absolutey wonderful optically and mechanically, I did not find the focal lenghts that I am happy with. I do a lot of my photography while travelling, and I found the zoom options too limited - 18-55 on both sides and 18-135 on the wide. My perfect lens on DX was always a 16-8xmm or similar.  On the long side, I take pictures of surfing & hockey (that is why I use DX), dogs and moving kids, and was not happy with the speed and reach of Fujis 55-200 (it was optically brilliant, though). I don't want to lug Fujis 100-400 around. I do not believe Fuji will in the mid term offfer these lenses and there are no third party offerings.

Secondy, while I love the Fuji as an engineering masterpiece, ergonomically it is not for me. I am 6.3 with large hands and even with a grip I did not like the pretty flat gripping area and foudn the camera quite strenous to hold for a longer time with the 55-200. And while the buttons and dials look great, there are not fast to change settings with. I find the DSLR layout of Canon and Nikon much easier to shoot with.

I also do a lot of photography in low light, including concerts and was not happy with M43 that I tested, So I want to stay with APSC. I cannot afford Sony lens prices and don't like how the a6500 balances with the 70-300, and I can only afford one system.

So back to Nikon.

My main lenses will be the 16-80, AF-P 700-300 FX (not the new DX ones because of missing weather seling as we spend a lot of time at the beach), 35/1.8 DX and 50/1.4.

I hated the grip on my D7200, so will not go back to it. Which leaves the D7500 (which I believe is enough for my needs) or the D500. Price is no deciding factor as in the moment there is very little between the kit price of the D500 or D7500 with the 16-80. I am very tempted by the D500 because of the large viewfinder and wide spread of AF sensors mainly. I have never used onboard flash in the last 5 years, so do not think that I will miss it.

My main concern is weight and size. As there will be a lot of walking that also includes family stuff, I wonder wether the D500 is too heavy or too big, and also maybe too big to throw it in the face of other people for casual shots portraits.

I would like to hear from people who have or had the D500 about your experience to use the D500 as an allround/travel/family camera and how you felt dealing with weight and size.

Many thanks!

Lars

Lars's gear list:Lars's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +1 more
Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7500 Nikon D90 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow