Total risk - shooting a running event only with the RX10M3

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Enders Shadow Senior Member • Posts: 1,922
Re: Total risk - shooting a running event only with the RX10M3

Michael Fritzen wrote:

Well, AF-C proved again in few seconds that it isn't up to the task. Actually I'm not sure for what purposes it would be a sensible choice. (Great expectations here for M4!).

I have the original RX10. Its AF-C mode is easily one of the worst performing of the CDAF based cameras I've owned. The instant a subject starts moving through the DOF, you can count on it dropping focus. Makes the camera practically useless in keeping up with a subject in burst mode. The AF improvements of the M2 are barely noticeable. Sony put some work into the M3. But at the long end, where AF performance is critical, it struggles. Like you, the only way I was able to get a decent hit rate was using AF-S mode and taking single shots or very short bursts. I don't think I ever got anything close to a 90% hit rate with a RX10m3. But most of my subjects are moving faster than distance runners and can unpredictably change speed and direction.

The RX100m5 was the first RX to get their PDAF enhanced sensor. Sony apparently didn't see it being used much with action photography. Its AF-C mode does fine with subjects moving slowly through the DOF. But above a certain rate, it crumbles. The RX10m4 is using the a9's processor and early reviews look promising.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow