Canon versus Olympus lens advice

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
roger2013 Junior Member • Posts: 48
Canon versus Olympus lens advice

For bird photos I have been using an Olympus E-M5II with 75-300 which works really well and is wonderfully light. But if I want to crop a lot, as you often need to with birds, it is not as sharp as I would like. I had thought of using the proceeds from selling my Canon equipment which I stopped using, to buy an Olympus 300 f4, for the extra sharpness (along with a teleconverter) or even a Panasonic 100-400 because of the extra reach.

But given I already have Canon 70-300LIS and 400L5.6 lenses, I was wondering whether I should consider buying a Metabones adapter and using one or both of these. If I didn’t have the lenses already, I would not even consider this, but given that that the resale price net of any commission is significantly lower than what it would cost to buy them, I was wondering whether it was worth the £350 to get the Metabones.

Of course, there would be a weight/size penalty—a very big penalty—and I would often just take the 75-300, but there are times, like when sitting in a hide, when the weight doesn’t matter.

Does anyone know whether the Canon 70-300LIS would be noticeably sharper on an E-M5II than the Oly 75-300 when both are used at 300mm? And how would the sharpness of the 400L5.6 compare? Reviews suggest I would see some improvement, but its not clear whether it would be significant. I guess autofocus would be slower, but would it be usable?

My guess is that the Olympus 300f4 would be much sharper, and better than any of these, but but that would set me back a LOT more cash.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow