Need Recommendations: Battery Grip for Canon 70D

Started Sep 23, 2017 | Discussions thread
Michael Thomas Mitchell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,732
Re: Need Recommendations: Battery Grip for Canon 70D

Adboom73 wrote:

I’ve been using my Canon 70D for years and its doing fine. The battery indicator gives me a RED – time to replace both batteries.

I’m considering a battery grip. I can’t afford a Canon brand and two new batteries.

· Has anyone had any luck with 3rd party grips?

· Any you suggest I stay clear of?

· What about batteries?

· I’ve seen a few kits that include grip and two batteries. Any experience?

Thanks all.

Some of them seem to be from the same factory but simply branded differently. I can't say that Meike, Vivitar, and Neewer, for instance, are all from the same factory, but we've had a few of these over the years, and if there is a difference, I can't discern it.

I always preferred the older BP-511 grips. They seemed more solid and didn't require any sort of tray; just open the door and pop them in/out. The battery-tray grips have been around for a while, though, and they do OK. I still insisted on a genuine OEM grip for our 5DIII, 5DIV and 7DII bodies because they are made with the same high quality materials and construction as the robust cameras they fit. The third-party stuff appears to be all plastic, however. They match the lower bodies just fine, but feel out of place on the aforementioned ones.

We still have a $40 Vivitar-branded grip on one of our 70D bodies. Three years on, it's fine.

Some third-party grips include a wireless shutter remote, a nice bonus if you need that sort of thing.

Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list:Michael Thomas Mitchell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow