Replace Fusion Drive with SSD only?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
mujana Veteran Member • Posts: 5,022
Replace Fusion Drive with SSD only?

Hello. I just have a few questions about Fusion Drive vs. SSD only. I'm working on a late 2013 iMac 27" i7, 3Tb Fusion Drive/ 32Gb Memory.

1. Is it possible to replace the Fusion Drive with a 2Tb SSD? If so, will I notice a lot of (speed) difference? I'm working with large (photo)files in Lightroom and other software. At the moment, around 1Tb is used.

2. Is it possible to replace only the SSD part of a Fusion Drive (so from around 120Gb SSD now...to let's say 2Tb SSD )..still keeping the HDD part and in effect creating a new Fusion Drive system (but with much larger SSD)?

My gut feeling says number 1 is possible....and number 2 impossible (never heard of it before). But I'm not completely sure, so maybe you can tell me. I'm not sure I'll do this right now (enough speed now, but maybe somewhere in the future), and I'll certainly not doing any of this by myself!

Thank you very much!

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Alpha a7R II Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow