sony XQD reader preventing Windows from booting

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,576
sony XQD reader preventing Windows from booting

Just an alert. I was having problems with the computer detecting the Sony MRW-E80 XQD card reader and having to unplug it and plug it in again to have it found by the OS. Today when I tried to boot the computer I got this message:

PXE-EC8: !PXE structure was not found in UNDI driver code segment.

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

It was a new one for me but I decided to remove the Sony USB XQD card reader and at after doing that the computer booted with no problems. Turns out that Intel has created code so that a computer can boot from the network and does not need an internal drive. Problem is that the Intel code is flawed along with the Windows kernel design and so a USB driver can disable the boot process (or crash the operating system and generate the Bill Gate Blue Screen of Death).

Now I will not leave the Sony card reader attached to a computer. No such problems to date with the Lexar card readers but will be looking for a replacement for the Sony MRW-E80 card reader.

-- hide signature --

"The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders…tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."

- Hermann Goring

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow