Focus problem on NEX-7 with e 16-50mm pz oss??

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Swearingen New Member • Posts: 15
Focus problem on NEX-7 with e 16-50mm pz oss??

Hello,

Has anyone experienced an intermittent focus problem with the 16-50mm pz on an NEX-7? I’ve searched all over, but have only found reports of problems on other camera models, the NEX-6 in particular. But the problem I’m having is not the consistent back focus issue at 50mm that many had reported on the NEX-6. My problem is an intermittent one, where the camera occasionally mis-focuses on objects at infinity. See side by side 100% crops below.

The problem is not limited to any particular f-stop or shutter speed. I’m not sure yet if it occurs with OSS turned off, and I’m also not sure if it’s back focusing or front. What I am sure of is that about 1 shot in 10 is misfocused. And oddly it’s the center of the frame that is super soft, the edges seem a tad sharper, though not as sharp as they should be. The problem seems to be limited to 16mm, but has occurred at all f-stops between f/3.5 and f/8, and shutter speeds between 1/320 and 1/1250. I’m using Aperture priority, bracket shooting mode, AF-S focus mode, and Flexible Spot. When it focuses properly the lens is quite sharp from f/5.6 to f/10. I’ve compared it to the 16-70 f/4 ZA, the 18-55 kit lens, and the 16mm pancake, and it actually holds its own quite well.

I’m running the latest firmware in the NEX-7 (1.03), and seem to have no option to update the lens firmware. Just wondering if anyone else has run into this particular issue, and if there is a solution or work around besides using manual focus.

Also, I'm thinking about getting an a6000 or an a6300 soon. Have focus problems with this lens been an issue with those newer bodies, or are they more limited to the older NEX models? Wondering if I get a new body only if this lens is likely to focus properly on it, or if the problems I'm seeing on the NEX-7 are a bad omen.

OOC JPEG 100% crops from near center of frame - shot a few minutes apart - both at f/3.5:

100% crops, near center of frame, both at f/3.5, ISO200. Left 1/640th, right 1/1250th

You can download these and a couple other full resolution test images here:

https://pixelhorse.smugmug.com/Recent-Galleries/Sony-e-16-50-pz-test-shots/

FYI, I'm shooting RAW+JPEG, but of course the RAW files show the same focus issues.

Thanks for the help!!

-- hide signature --

http://www.members.aol.com/gordosm/swearingen/alswearengen2.jpg
'As a base of operations, it's hard to beat a saloon.'

Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow