So what's with the Tamron/Sigma dock and AFFT?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 6,964
So what's with the Tamron/Sigma dock and AFFT?

A new member, a photography student, started a thread on lens advice: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60161575

He's eyeing the Tamron 24-70/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8. He doesn't state what body he uses but my thoughts immediately went to the Tamron habit of giving existing Nikon lens IDs to their lenses so the AFFT (AF Fine Tune) table can point to two or more lenses in your arsenal, meaning they cannot have different AFFT values -> you're smoked for professional work.

But is that so? Assuming you're a photography student on a budget, get two D5xxx bodies and the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 + 70-200 f/2.8 and tune them with the dock, why would you need the Nikon AFFT? I'm sure I could do most of my work with this set provided the AF was spot on.

So my question, on behalf of the student, is it possible to have both Tamron lenses AF tuned with the dock and have them behave well on D5xxx (maybe even D3xxx) bodies?

-- hide signature --

Philip

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow