Primer for an Astro Newbie?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
OzarkInspirations Forum Member • Posts: 85
Primer for an Astro Newbie?

I got some good pointers on the forum here as I was getting prepared for the eclipse last month, and ended up getting some pretty decent shots for my first eclipse. (See https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozarkinspirations/sets/72157686460614690.) Now I'm itching to experiment a little more. I've managed to get white-dots-on-black-background shots of Jupiter and its moons, but that's about it. Attempts to get Jupiter itself, Saturn and Venus have been poor at best -- most likely due to way too small an image even with 200-500mm zoom + 1.4x TC on either full or cropped sensor (D810 / D500).

I obviously have an interest in the immediate solar system bodies, but am also curious about getting shots of the milky way and who knows what.

I know there has to be something on the forum here that points newbies like me to primers or guidelines on where to start, but I guess I don't know what to even search for. So, anyone with pointers or primers to help a wannabe out? What are the essential pieces in a starter setup, and what kind of costs are involved?

Thanks.

OzarkInspirations's gear list:OzarkInspirations's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D70 Nikon D90 Nikon D810 Nikon D500 +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow