Em-Effin' The Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 at Disney World

Started 10 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,677
Em-Effin' The Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 at Disney World

Yeah - I really do occasionally go back to my early film camera roots, and actually manually focus lenses sometimes!  I admit, I'm really not a fan of manual focusing with AF lenses, especially fly-by-wire ones like E-mount, so I am definitely a big AF user with e-mount cameras...I've gotten pretty proficient at getting focus where I want it even if I have to change the focus point settings and modes around a little for different situations.  But get a nice, well-damped, manual focus lens on an adapter, and manual focusing can be quite a pleasure and lots of fun.

I've always been fond of the Leica M lenses - tiny, nicely built, nice image quality, and fun to focus - but ungodly pricey.  Which is where the fun and small Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton comes in...it's my favorite manual lens for E-mount, because of the small size with adapter, the nice damping and thumb-control focus ring, and double aperture wings for quick and easy adjustments.  Just stick the A6300 in 'A' aperture-priority mode, and set the aperture you want, focus, and shoot - the camera can still do the metering and set ISO, and you can adjust the metering with a little EV dialing in as needed.

I go to Disney World so often that photography is a key reason for going - I don't have that need to hit every ride, show up early to be first on the rides, don't have to entertain kids, and don't have any real schedule.  I can just wander at my own pace, snap photos whenever the mood strikes, and anything I don't shoot, or ride, or do - I can just hit next time.  This trip, I just found myself in the mood to bring the little Voigtlander along much of the time, in lieu of the SEL35mm F1.8 and often taking the place of the kit lens...so I was using the Voigt for the dark-ride and low light stuff as well as just as a walkaround lens during the day.  It's funny how the e-mount cameras are becoming pretty common to see more on the streets or on vacation - I used to answer a lot of questions about it from those unfamiliar, or from those who heard of them but hadn't encountered one - now I get more friendly nods from another photog using an e-mount camera too.  But stick the Voigt on there, and you often get questions again - from e-mounters who are curious about manual and rangefinder lenses, and from old film shooters who recognize the manual design of the lens with the funny markings and aperture ring, and are surprised to hear there are digital cameras that can use the old lenses.

So here's a random assemblage of shots from around the Disney World parks and grounds, taken with the A6300 and Voigtlander Nokton 35mm F1.4 lens, all posted at 1400 pixels if you click the originals, just to throw in something different than my birds and wildlife:

Part of the theming I always enjoy, here at the France Pavilion in Epcot - isolate a bit of the architecture or  landscaping and it shows how they really pay attention to details

A really really low light scene in Spaceship Earth, a ride about communication's evolution through time...I used to find this one of the most difficult scenes to shoot from a moving ride car with early DSLRs - but modern cameras that can shoot pretty clean at ISO 12,800 and F1.4 can make it easy!

Epcot has a drum performers that play janitorial equipment, dressed as the 'Jammitors' - but since I was there during the Food & Wine Festival, they change their routine to fit - as chefs and playing kitchenware

Morocco pavilion at Epcot, seen from across the water.  The trees were a bit beat-up looking, as hurricane Irma had passed over less than a week earlier

One of Epcot's Friendship boats pulling into the Morocco dock, with Japan and American pavilions in the background

A little overcast in the afternoon when I visited the Wilderness Lodge Resort - part of their newer vacation club section theming seen here, to look like an old mining facility converted into a resort

The Magic Kingdom ferry, heading back to pick up new guests, as it passes by the Grand Floridian resort, and a crazy cloudy sky - this taken from a smaller boat transporting me from Wilderness Lodge to Magic Kingdom

Approaching the entrance to Magic Kingdom by water, with the train station straight ahead, monorail track running in front, and Cinderella's castle peeking out from behind it all

Some of the scenery from the Big Thunder Mountain roller coaster ride - it's funny how they pay attention to some theming that most people are not even paying attention to as they fly by on a roller coaster - but Disney still frets the details.  This was taken from a moving train

The Halloween decorations were already up all around the park - they start Halloween in September at the parks - every 3rd night or so, they have a big Halloween party all through the 2 months leading up to Halloween

A classic Disney ride that begat a movie series - this is the famous prison scene on Pirates of the Caribbean ride, woven into the first movie with Johnny Depp begging the dog for the key

And the movie comes full circle back into the ride - with Captain Jack Sparrow placed into various scenes in the ride to tie the movies based on the ride, back into the ride!

A scene few pay attention to. The Peoplemover is often thought of as a 'break' ride - a chance to rest your feet, get a breeze and some AC, and relax...few pay any attention to the scenes that are passing by on the ride.  I've always liked this dark little diorama because it's a model by Walt Disney for an experimental city of the future...you have to snap quickly as you pass by in a few seconds!

And this is another attraction people use to take a nap in cool air conditioning on a hot day - you can usually walk right in with no line.  But it's a very important attraction to Disney history - the Carousel of Progress, first introduced at the 64 NY World's Fair, they maintain Walt's original introduction video for the ride, the original music by the Sherman brothers, and adjust the last scene (modern day) to keep up with current progress in technology

Comments, questions, or critique welcomed as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow