Total risk - shooting a running event only with the RX10M3

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 5,247
Total risk - shooting a running event only with the RX10M3

Hi,

these days I was shooting at a Half Marathon running event and even if I had my A99 kit in my bag I decided to run the risk and to shoot the entire event only with my RX10M3.

Up to now I've always avoided it for "serious" shooting because in the about 10 months of usage its qualities got very clear. But also its quirks. The AF-C mode is among the biggest weaknesses of the cam.

So how would the RX10M3 fare?

Well, AF-C proved again in few seconds that it isn't up to the task. Actually I'm not sure for what purposes it would be a sensible choice. (Great expectations here for M4!).

But overall? Well, I was very positively surprised that AF-S, even it is from theory not the right mode, performed really well. It performed that well because in wide zone focus aquisition was that fast that it allowed immediate release so that possible subject advance did affect sharpness only in a relatively low number of shots - which I discarded afterwards on computer. The interesting part is that wide zone performed essentially flawless even if I had two runners approaching in parallel with each close to the outer borders of the focussing zone. In those situations I need to take care on my A99 that it doesn't attempt to acquire focus in the middle - thus on the background and not on the runners.

I shot the entire range from 24-600mm eq. - more towards the long end because of the surprisingly nice subject isolation on a long straight section of the run.

And the sharpness levels? Well, as to be expected the lens did optically very well.

The zoom could be faster and the top lever seems faster than twisting the barrell. Still acceptable for the given speeds.

Sucess rate? Out of about 2,2k shots taken I kept shortly below 2k. - I was prepared for a much worse outcome.

So yes, with a (finally) working AF-C on the M4 the RX10 is for me definitely an option when I don't want to carry my big gear.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Sony Alpha a99 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX10 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow