Calibration frustration...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,347
Calibration frustration...

Having a bit of calibration woes...

My previous setup was an Eizo CG243W as the main monitor and a 24” Dell has the secondary one.

I always used a ColorMunki calibration device and, apart from general brightness, never had a problem keeping the two of them calibrated using the ColorMunki software on the Dell and the proprietary ColorNavigator software on the Eizo.

Things were pretty straightforward: I created a 6500K, 2.2 Gamma (I am on Windows 10), 115 or 120 cd/m2 target on both software, launched the calibration and everything turned out fine.

Even the printed photos came out perfect, matching both monitors’ colours, after a dedicated print calibration, also using the ColorMunki (CM).

I’ve now bought a LG 32UD99, a beautiful, beautiful 4K beast, with great colours out of the box.

But when moving on to calibration, things became a bit troubling, as I don’t seem to be able to match the two monitors.

First, I tried using the CM software on the LG and kept using the proprietary ColourNavigator on the Eizo.

Next, I tried using the CM software on both.

Finally I downloaded and installed LG’s proprietary calibration software – True Color Pro – and tried using it on the LG, while using ColorNavigator on the Eizo.

No matter what, I kept getting vastly different colours on both.

I then had the idea of reverting both to factory settings and, to my amazement, although the LG came with a calibration paper note in the box with detailed information and stating that it was calibrated for a 6500k white point and the Eizo also showed in the menu that the factory reset targeted was 6500k, when I made a LAB L-50 document in PS and opened it for full display on both monitors using Lightroom, they showed up with very different warmth tones.

Searching the net, I came about a monitor’s forum where a guru answered a similar problem by stating that the white points between monitors had to be first “eye-balled” by the user, prior to calibration (!).

I’ve now set the target on the LG for 6200K and the one on the Eizo to 6800K and things, while still far from perfect, have improved a bit.

My questions:

1. How can the factory preset white points look so different between monitors for a same 6500K target?

2. Even if consider that the Eizo is over 7 years old and, as such, the panel and associated circuitry might have slipped from perfect 6500K white point, isn’t getting the correct target white point one of the tasks that should be dealt with by the calibrator and associated software, as the starting point for the rest of the calibration?

2. How can users using calibration devices be advised to “eye-ball” the initial white point base setting?

3. How should I proceed from here, given the fact that the white point “guess adjustments” on both still are not getting me matching full colours between monitors?

Thank you for any help you might provide.

(PS: Both monitors driven by a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, from sequential DisplayPort ports.)

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.humbertoborgesfotografia.com/
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow