Zooming on new 24-70/2.8 GM not completely smooth/silent

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
h4ldol New Member • Posts: 20
Zooming on new 24-70/2.8 GM not completely smooth/silent

I just got a SEL470GM online to use on my A7Rii and believe it to be new. I love the lens overall, both the performance and the build/design. One thing I started to notice, first day or two of owning the lens, is that the zooming in/out is not 100% smooth and silent like it is on my other FE zooms (16-35/2.8 GM, 16-35/4). I can perceive, either when it reaches the 24 or 70mm end, but sometimes in the middle of the range, a very subtle "clunk" type physical sensation on the hand that is rotating the zoom ring, that I can hear as well although probably only noticeable in a quiet environment.

The thing is, my 16-35/2.8 GM does not do this and I've been using that heavily the past month since it came out. The zoom is 100% smooth and silent from end to end. The 24-70 is not. When I reach the end of the zoom range (starting at either end), it often makes the slight "clunk" feeling/sound, seemingly coming from the interior, maybe the lens element/housing reaching the end of the "zoom track"? That maybe it's just because the lens elements that are moving when zooming are substantially heavier, and it also travels a greater distance from end to end, than the 16-35 GM? But then again, my old Canon 70-200/2.8 IS II was completely smooth/silent as well, and that is definitely moving more glass inside (I think).

Now, it's fairly subtle and I'm not certain everyone using the same lens would notice it, and I wouldn't mind that much if I know it definitely doesn't indicate something mechanically wrong with the lens, or worse, that it portends future problems. The issue is that I bought it from a Hong Kong seller (E-Infinity, who I have nothing but praise for and I am 99% sure the lens was brand new) so it would cost some money to return it. It also is only covered by a (IMO) fairly useless seller warranty. I would take a video of it except that I am doubtful it would be picked up on video well, if at all.

Therefore, I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me, an enthusiast without extensive experience with cameras/lenses in general, can chime in to give me an idea of whether this most likely nothing to worry about, or if I should bite the bullet and return it.

h4ldol's gear list:h4ldol's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow