Bigma and a77 II

Started Sep 25, 2017 | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,164
Re: Bigma and a77 II

Tim Crammond wrote:

I'm considering buying a used Sigma 50-500mm APO EX., and need to decide quickly. Sigma claims this lens won't focus properly on a65 and a77 without an update. Does anyone know if this is also true with the a77 II (or for that matter, any other SLT's than the two specified in Sigma's original announcement)?

Thanks

When the A77 was released in 2011 an AF problem was discovered in several current Sigma lenses (original Sigma notice). I just got my A77, still had my A550 DSLR, and was looking to buy the Sigma 150-500. I waited on the 150-500 while this was straightened out.

Sigma recalled the affected lenses that were currently in-stock at my local camera store (Samy's), updated the firmware, applied stickers to the box, then returned the lenses to the store.

Sigma also offered free firmware upgrades for all affected lenses that were already sold. I had two affected lenses I had to send in for the firmware upgrade (50 & 85 EX). The A77 AF just wouldn't work with these lenses prior to receiving the firmware upgrade (endless hunting or just flat-out missed focus by a mile).

All my affected lenses with the firmware upgrade work fine on all my Sony cameras (see my Gear List). AF performance of these lenses are even better on the A77ii.

I have no reason to believe lenses with the old firmware would magically work on the A77ii.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +28 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow