Replacing Sony A7. Advice needed.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rsf3127 Regular Member • Posts: 211
Replacing Sony A7. Advice needed.

My A7 is already 4 years old and before it dies in my hands I decided to get rid of it.

I will also sell the 28-70mm kit lens, the 28mm lens and the UWA add-on.

I will do that because a colleague asked me to buy the whole package for a good price.

I use my cameras almost exclusively when travelling and by that I mean back country trails in places like Patagonia, Peru, Atacama, Swiss alps and US national parks.

Therefore, I perceived that maybe a more portable body would be nice and that the sensor inside A7 is a bit dated, with the APS-c from A6300 and A6500 getting very close to it regarding DR and noise. In fact, I do not like the chroma noise from the A7 very much. It is much coarser than other cameras.

Regarding S/N performance, I do not understand the DXO rating, because when I look at the images from comparometers here and at imagingresource.com, the difference does not seem that much between the A7 and a6300/a6500.

I also have the 19mm, the 30mm and the 60mm DN lenses from Sigma that I would like to use more often. But at the same time I have a bunch of very nice Minolta MD lenses that I use with the A7 (not very often, though).

I have just seen that a new A7 body is actually lower priced than either of the APS-c bodies I would buy instead of it.

I (usually) do not need the speed of those APS-c bodies, but the pop up flash is something I miss when shooting contre-jour.

The FL range I use most is 28 to 35mm (FF equivament).

Please check my Flickr in case you want to see my usage of the A7.

I am in a crossroads. What would you do if you were in my place?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

rsf3127's gear list:rsf3127's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a6000 Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +9 more
Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow