"Danger" of EVF Live View Boost

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 1,485
"Danger" of EVF Live View Boost

I shot a portrait session the other day (EM1.2). Using Manual (plus manual ISO) to set background exposure (sunny backlit) and TTL flash for face fill in and was thrown because the EVF view during shooting and vs playback to check exposure were not playing the same game. As is the case when you are under pressure I made an educated guess (read panicked and became irrational) at adjusting exposure instead of having the time to get to the bottom of it and as a result slightly underexposed everything. Turned out ok thanks to RAW and processing but still not up to standards I set for myself. Back home I checked the camera out and found I had left Live View Boost in Manual Exposure set to "On 1" position (due to testing something the other day).

I shoulda done this and shoulda trusted that.... hindsight... but good lesson learned was...

... I have become so used to trusting mirrorless for exposure in the viewfinder that when it "went loopy" I forgot my years of experience with film in the basics of setting an exposure and forgot that as good as the camera real time EVF is, playback is the only final test.

Sounds like an amateur mistake but when the clock is ticking and clients are watching you... easy to get flustered. An "EVF Boost On" sign in the viewfinder is now on my list of next firmware update requests haha.

-- hide signature --

"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and to my wife for saying it to me.
Make the best you can of every day

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow