Is production of the D850 meeting Nikon’s plan?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
michaeljberman Senior Member • Posts: 1,522
Is production of the D850 meeting Nikon’s plan?

Is production of the D850 meeting Nikon’s plan or is there a bottleneck of some kind?

I knew that Nikon would not fill all the early orders on the D850, but it looks to me as if the rate of shipments into the US is below the rate that Nikon planned. So my question is “is there a bottleneck/problem of some sort that is reducing the production rate?”

The key new item is the sensor, could that be in short supply? The sensor is pushing the “state of the art”. If the rumors are right, it is from TowerJazz Panasonic (TPSC) there could very well be problems getting the wafer yield up to the level that was planned and committed to Nikon a year ago.

I made computer chips for 25 years, not sensors but CPU, Flash and ASIC, the ship numbers commented (a year before production) do not always match reality, (just look at the the last few die shrinks from Intel). There is a lot to the sensor, going to a large BSI die is a big change and a lot of good die needed to ship, so I would feel that it may be the bottleneck of camera ships.

On a 200 mm wafer there are only 24 gross die (sensors) on a 300 mm wafer, the gross die jumps to 63. On the start of a major production process with die much smaller, I was happy if we were at 50% yield of the gross die, after 9 to 12 months the yield should be 80 to 90% with 95% being the long term goal.

Or there could be a QA/C problem, I do remember QC problems in a few of the last release, Nikon may have to filter and rework units, that is a problem in production, but it is much cheaper in many ways to fix the problems in house that ship defects to the field.

Mike

-- hide signature --

If you have low standards, you can take a look:
http://michaeljberman.zenfolio.com

michaeljberman's gear list:michaeljberman's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow