E-mount for Nikon MILC, good idea or not?

Started Sep 23, 2017 | Polls thread
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 57,435
Re: E-mount for Nikon MILC, good idea or not?

snellius wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

snellius wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

snellius wrote:

Maybe there should also be a curved sensor in this camera, with a new series of Nikkor lenses. No old lenses and and for the time being, no other brand lenses.

Curved sensors are not a great idea for an interchangeable lens camera. The lenses need to be designed for whatever is the sensor curve (and it needs to be not so much a 'curve' as a 'dish'. Designing to a specific curve doesn't ease so many of the problems of designing a high quality lens (it makes it easier to mitigate the problems of a very poor lens) and would mean that the camera wouldn't be useable with legacy lenses.

That's exactly what I mean, everything new without any compromise. The curved sensor as a compulsor to release all the old (and other brand lenses). No mechanical aperture controle and no mechanical AF drive. Everything new and compact.

I don't think making a new system completely incompatible with legacy and third party lenses is a marketing strategy likely to succeed, especially since there are no clear technical advantages to be had

If Nikon would make the move to a larger format, would you be against it because old lenses do not fit?

I'm not 'against' anything that Nikon does. It's their business, they do what they think best. I can't see the point of Nikon moving to MF, since their current lens system can do anything that MF can do. If they want to cater for that market, it would make more sense to have a 100MP FX sensor with a base ISO of 32 made. It would keep the advantages of the current lens system and match anything MF systems can do. If they went to MF they would have to put a lot of R&D developing the infrastructure to no advantage, but that's their decision. I wouldn't be a customer for it, though. As for the FX mirrorless, I can't see how enforced incompatibility by itself is any advantage whatsoever. There are arguments for abandoning both the mechanics and protocols of the F-mount, but that would and should allow adapters. The curved sensor, as I see it, only offers disadvantages. Development would be expensive, it would offer no optical advantages in this context and it would restrict the system to only those lenses Nikon developed. That's one of the things that killed the N1 system.

-- hide signature --

Tinkety tonk old fruit, & down with the Nazis!
Bob

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
Yxa
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow