A numbers game or the curse of the DSLR: shutter noise in 2017 adding to the demise of the system??

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 7,243
A numbers game or the curse of the DSLR: shutter noise in 2017 adding to the demise of the system??

Whenever you travel to some exotic or to some less exotic destination, you might take a camera with you. In the olden days this used to be the DSLR for many who have traveled the globe but has recently resulted in a shift towards a (pick any!!) mirrorless system.

There is one thing that is often being overlooked (I think anyway) and that is the shutter count seen from the object of your photographic desires: when you take a photo with a DSLR there is this mirror noise, so the people being photographed can tell by way of interaction with the click as to what makes the photographer tick. A certain pose and the shutter count goes up.

With mirroless this can be less of a problem, maybe curse or blessing, when there is less interaction.

On one of my recent trips I asked a woman in Hoi An, Eastern Vietnam, whether I could take maybe 100 or so photos of her, a little photo shoot. She didn't speak English but one of the bystanders translated this to her and she laughed about the number 100. I assume! She then nodded, possibly thinking that this was a big joke.

The shoot was close enough to a hundred frames, noiseless and painless if you like. I heard some people with DSLRs "joining in" from behind me and I must say that I found the clicking highly annoying for reasons of sound. She noticed this also so a lot of the shots I took were wasted.

Made me think that only a few years ago I also had a DSLR but then there were more of "us" and the sound was an accepted nuisance. But in 2017 a more delicate approach might be the way to go, after all smart phones only make noises when you enable this first int he settings

Here is one of my photos (no, I didn't just make this up!!!)

Deed

P.S.: a quick knee jerk response could of course be that DSLRs also have silent operations in Live View Mode, but then the behave exactly as if they didn't have a mirror.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow