Any adequate 58mm teleconverter for Mr. Cheap?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Koch Senior Member • Posts: 1,057
Any adequate 58mm teleconverter for Mr. Cheap?

The 100-300mm, 100-400mm, and other m4/3 telephoto lenses are nice for wildlife shots.  Birders will surely sing and warble about their performance,  They will flap with excitement.

However, I am jus' a po' bird whose hen throws a pecking fit any time new gear in the roost means a nest egg has been filched!

When I am in the wilds, I am more likely to need wide shots than narrow ones.  There would not be time to swap lenses before any fleeting creatures vanish from view.  Besides, there are the issues of added weight and risk of sensor dust, or intrusion of water, when changing lenses in dirty or rainy places.  A "weather sealed" camera is not sealed when you change the lens.  There is also the matter of cost.  What is the value of a lens I am unlikely to have, or be able to use, the few times I need it.  Often as not, an expensive lens would do no good anyway, if the creatures are back-lit, behind foliage, or merely rear ends that expel something (in fright or spite) when my footsteps are heard.

A lighter, cheaper alternative would be nice!.   Something I could quickly screw on the front 58'' filter thread would be convenient.   If only the optics did more good than harm.  If the effect is no better, or worse, than digital zoom, there would be no point.  The HENrietta in the household would surely rebuke my investment and seize it hostage in exchange for ransom or a luxury gift bribe!

Question: is there any >1.7x 58mm tele-adapter lens at all that one can screw on the front of the 14-140mm OIS lens and get any boost in reach that is not offset by vignette shadow,  loss of sharpness, or other aberrations?

I know there are some adapters that fit between the camera and the main lens.  But something that can screw to the filter thread of the main lens would work faster and not require exposing the camera innards to dirt.

There are various budget Vivitar products, whose buyer reviews are either neutral (adequate, but you get what you pay for) or worse.  But is there anything to gain from paying a little extra?  Are there any specific makes or models that measurably outperform the <$25 ones commonly available?  Or are they all more or less useless?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow